Finally 40
So I just turned 40. It is odd. I think we all have a picture of ourselves in our minds that is closer to 18. Yet we keep having these little people around us calling us Dad, it just gets confusing.
I thought it would be a little different. I thought I would feel older. I thought that I would be depressed or something knowing that my life may be more than half over. But then I thought "I really do not know if today is my last day. What do I think of my life? What if this is it?" I thought about it more, and then 40 did not seem so bad. I am a very rich man. I have a wife who is my best friend (and who looks really good by the way, in case you did not notice), I have kids that are kind and love Jesus, I have great parents, I have a great team at work. But beyond all that the Lord has blessed me by helping me understand that He is all I need. That by being content in what he provides in any circumstance, good or bad, I become rich regardless of where or what it is.
Don't get me wrong, my life is not perfect. We usually do not go through a day where someone in our household is being selfish and saying hurtful words. That someone is usually me. And, my contentment (for the moment, just wait a minute and I will likely not be content) comes from not the good circumstances but the bad. It is has been the hard times, the get on your knees and just cry times, the "I am not sure I can go on times" that has lead to my contentment. Because it is in those times that I really learned (and continue to learn) contentment. It has been those times when all I had left was Jesus, that he taught me to just be content with Him. It is in those moments where he striped it all away, that he gave me something that I never knew I was missing, but something I could not live without. Just Him. Thank you Lord for the past 40 years. Thank you for you. Just you.

2 Comments:
Well said, son-in-law.
Great post! And I love that picture!
Post a Comment
<< Home