Friday, June 17, 2011

Silent Service

"Watch out! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven." Matthew 6:1.

What if I were to offer you an island in the Caribbean. Your own little place, just a retreat. Crystal clear waters, a beautiful home that looks over the lagoon, in a location that does not have any storms. Just your own little slice of paradise. The only caveat was that you had to wait to receive this gift. You could choose to wait for this perfect gift, or you could pick up a candy bar at the 7 eleven right now. You choose the candy bar. And so do I. That is what is Jesus is warning us about.

When we do "good deeds;" actions that help others, that put "skin" on the bones of God's truth, we have a choice. To choose to do them unto the Lord alone, to seek to do them secretly, or to do them to have others praise us. The choice of the island or the candy bar. I don't know if the Lord will give us an island. But I do know that the Lord knows a thing or two about "rewards." I bet that I will be shocked when I see Him and the magnificence of his gifts compared to the shallowness of the praise of others. I think that if we were allowed to see what He has in mind we would choose the island every time. But I guess that is what faith is all about. Lord, help me to choose the eternal over the temporal, to serve others in silent service for you alone.

"Give your gifts in private, and your Father who sees everything will reward you." Matthew 6:4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home