If you cannot roll, you can only sink....
So, I had a little problem with my last surf kayak. It looked so fast (and it was). People even said it looked fast sitting still. The only problem was that it was the type you sit INSIDE. Which means the operator (me) had to learn how to flip it back up when it was upside down and I was locked into it. After several months of practice, and lots of time on the water (hours and hours) I got it down. You have to fight the natural instinct to GET OUT when you are upside down like a cork. However, in the surf it is a whole different deal. Do it wrong and you are swimming through the surf with a waterlogged boat and paddle and people on the shore ready to call in the coast guard.
I thought "should I really spend the next year trying to master this, or should I just find a boat that is just as fast, but is a sit on top?" I chose the later, a waveski that is built like a surfboard, but you paddle it.(Hence the picture) And yes Mom, the seat belt is quick release.
The old kayak? Well thanks to craigslist and in spite of some happy flaggers who kept on taking down my post, a white water kayaker with lots of cash, time and expensive cars is carving up the waves. Maybe I will see him sometime on the surf. Me? Well, I am just happy to not have to cause any more stress for the crisis happy tourists on the beach.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home