Relational cake.
Chris and I are on the way for a little time away. For eight days we will just be a couple; not parents, not work titles, just us. There were times in our marriage where we had a lot of "junk" to work through before we could relax and enjoy each other. We were so busy in our own little worlds that we had a lot of "catching up" to do before we could figure out who we were together. Thankfully, in the past few years we have been committed to connecting with each other on a daily basis. I know the exact time Chris gets off work and how long the drive is to get the kids from school. This drive is one of the few times her mind is free and she can just share before her next role must commence. I have tried to not miss that phone time with her on a daily basis. We have also made our bedroom a kid free zone (at least when I get home) so we can just sit back and talk and share about our day. Each of these daily investments has really paid off. We know each other as a person more clearly. As we each grow older, we also change. This time together helps us prevent relational drift in our marriage.
On of the biggest things that Chris has done is to remind me to laugh. I had forgotten what a wonderful catalyst laughter is for connection; and grace with each other. Her initiative in sparking laughter has refreshed my spirit and reminded me to show more grace to her and others. Her light spirit has become a role model for me, and has effected those that I have contact with. She has tremendous influence over me by how she treats me.
Don't get me wrong though, we have much to learn. I am sure we will have a few " discussions" while away. But the prep work we have done daily I believe will give us a much better chance to bake a great cake on this vacation:).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home