Slowing...
So, one of the books I am reading is "The life you always wanted" by John Ortberg. It is spiritual disciplines for ordinary people. One of the chapters is about living a unhurried life. Some of the comments he makes strike a chord. For example, he says "For many of us the great danger is not that we will renounce our faith. It is that we will become so distracted and rushed and preoccupied, that we will settle for a mediocre version of it." He has many other good thoughts, but one of the things he suggests to live a less "busy life" is to practice "slowing" Deliberately choosing to place ourselves in positions we have to wait. The slow lane in traffic, the slowest grocery line... I read this Sunday morning, and true to form, we go stuck in traffic, they shut down the road we take to church, and our waiter at lunch was incredibly slow....Not sure how I did on the slowing part. But, there is still time. Staying "hurried" makes us feel important. My challenge to myself is to "slow down" and practice patience. Hard for me to do....

6 Comments:
OH, so this is why you kept telling me at lunch that it was okay our server kept missing us.......:) Thanks for sharing, Dean.
I am sure that the others on your hockey team will appreciate your "slowing up" whent he puck is slamming the back of the net!
K
If you were shooting, I am sure my "slow" mode would be just in time... Dean
Along the same line is the book by Os Guiness, "Prophetic Untimeliness"
Interesting.
"Practicing the presence of Christ" Cheryl
So many books to read, so little time... I am looking forward to Christmas (I know it is a long ways off...) because I want to ask for the complete works of C.S. Lewis. Dean
Post a Comment
<< Home